Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Wealth of having God's Love

"God so loved the world that he gave his only son so that everyone who believes in him...might have eternal life." Jn 3:15

A few weeks ago, while leading a parish mission, I was trying to convince a group of teenagers preparing for Confirmation that because God called me to be a friar I was very rich. While I own no property or liquid assets, my life has been full of blessings and I am very grateful. In fact, the communion of saints is very real to me. I have not just met a few saints, I have been surrounded by them, lifted up by their love and been assured that I will always be loved.

My words, however, did not seem to impress the young people who are just about to launch out into the world on their own and were not anxious to hear that having little or nothing was a great blessing. Neither, it seemed, did they want to learn that the basic stance of the Christian is to serve others with compassion and joy. Perhaps, underneath it all, they don't yet feel the need for God's mercy and forgiveness, and while this might be natural, it will have to change at some point.

Life is about letting go of our transgressions and sins and allowing God to heal us and those we have sinned against, actions which are beyond our control but which God is anxious to complete in us. Because of God's unconditional love for us, God keeps offering us mercy and new life.

Today, show God's mercy to someone who has hurt you.

How have you experienced God's mercy and forgiveness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.