Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Knowing our Faith

"Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me. I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them.” Jn 17: 25-26

Ever year, when he was on the novitiate staff, one of our friars from Australia conducted a little contest with our novices, asking them to name the six states of his homeland. With a twinkle in his eye, he reminded the novices that he has already given them a hint, knowing full well that the majority would not know there are six states in Australia, much less be able to name them.

I always enjoyed hearing about this exercise because it is true about so much of the world. How many countries in Africa? How many in Europe or South America? There is so much about the physical world we don't know. Why should we be surprised that Jesus has to pray that his disciples will not forget that He will always live in them through his Spirit. In truth, most Catholics know little about the Holy Spirit even today, and too many do not realize how vital the Spirit is to their daily lives. Praying to the Spirit and living in the Spirit's presence is a good practice for all.

Today, pray to the Holy Spirit for strength to live and announce the Gospel.

Has the Holy Spirit ever been active in your life? If so, how did you respond?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.