Saturday, August 9, 2014

Alone with God

"He went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When it was evening he was there alone." Mt 14:23

Time alone is important. We need to step away from the pace of life as we usually experience it in order to appreciate how good God is and how fortunate we are. When we rush about trying to get everything done, we miss the wonder of the day and moment.

Years ago when I was trying to learn how to cook (some would say I should stop trying), I found myself so concerned with what I was doing that I failed to appreciate the simple pleasures of cooking. I rarely smelled the onions or garlic sauteing, and I hardly noticed the people with whom I would soon eat. Too concerned with making sure everything was "right," I got it all wrong.

Jesus regularly steps away from his mission to pray. Never letting his readers forget that Jesus is the new Moses, Matthew has him go up a mountain to listen to God and pray, to be quiet and remember who he is and why he has come to among us. Sent by God to announce Good News, it is important for us to remember that though the Lord will suffer much and be persecuted for his ideas and growing power among ordinary people, he is the Messiah of God, the anointed one, the fulfillment of God's promise always to with and among us. To appreciate this, we must spend time alone and in quiet.

Today, find time to get away from everyone and everything. It is not important what you think about, but how you let God be with you.

What have been your experiences of faith when you have stepped away from the busyness of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.