Thursday, October 4, 2012

Job's Apology

"Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you? I put my hand over my mouth. Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more." Job 40:5

The story of Job is powerful, unnerving and compelling, but it is also very difficult to read. God allows Satan to tempt Job, and the righteous man is struck down. Everyone around Job dies and he loses all his many possessions, but does not curse God. 

Finally, however, after enduring more than seems reasonable even for the best of people, Job has had enough, curses the day he was born, and asks God to help him understand why he has to bear these terrible burdens. God reminds Job both that he has a purpose beyond what one can easily see or understand, and is stronger than Satan. 

Only then does Job accept that God has not abandoned him and promises God that he will never question him again. With that God gives Job more than he had before his suffering and allows him to remarry, raise a large family and live 144 years. 

How often we speak when we are in pain and confusion without considering the consequences. How often, too, we wish we could take back our harsh judgments and self protective pronouncements. Job's story promises us that we can begin again. We have only to listen to God and accept forgiveness.

Today, don't say something on the tip of your lips.

How do you explain the trials all people endure? Why do bad things happen to good people?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.