Monday, January 20, 2020

St Agnes

"At this the Pharisees said to him, 'Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the sabbath?'” Mk 2:24

When people seem to break the law for no apparent reason it is sometimes easier to question their motives than to risk being changed. That is what seems to have happened to Jesus. Rather than celebrate his honesty, integrity and healing power, people suggested that he and his disciples didn't respect the law or the rabbinic interpretation of the law of fasting.

I had the privilege of working with many people who, though labelled "crazy," changed my life. Their kindness, compassion and insight about life and faith forced me to reevaluate my tendency to judge or dismiss them. In retrospect, I think it was my own fear of mental illness that got in the way of my seeing the person behind or inside the illness. Perhaps it was this same kind of fear that got in the way of people seeing Jesus and his disciples for the revolutionaries they were,

Today, think of someone who others dismiss with the eyes and ears of God.

How do you react to people who challenge the law and its interpretation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.