Friday, January 9, 2015

The Best Man

"The one who has the bride is the bridegroom; the best man, who stands and listens for him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice...He must increase; I must decrease.” Jn 3: 29-30

My life has been blessed by countless women and men, especially in my ministry with and among Hispanics, who have helped me negotiate the pitfalls of culture and language. I am especially grateful to those women who have translated my homilies simultaneously from English to Spanish so that I could concentrate on helping everyone understand and be moved by the scriptures. Because my Spanish is adequate but weak, without people like this, I would have been lost. Like John the Baptist, they decreased so that I and Jesus could increase. 

John the Baptist reminds us that he is like the best man at a wedding. He does not want or need to front and center. Rather, he clears a space for the bridegroom to be the focus on everyone's attention. More important, at least in the Gospel, is the joy the joy John brings to Christ the bridegroom just by listening to him with delight. 

Straightforward about his role and alert for the voice of Jesus, John becomes the model for believers everywhere. Not concerned for his own safety or fame, John wants to decrease as Jesus increases. How important it is for all to live in the same manner.

Today, be grateful for anyone who helps you in your work and life, especially your children or grandchildren's teachers.

Who do you most value for their ability to stand in the background so that God's word can be heard?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.