Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hedging on Faith

"Give me neither poverty nor riches; provide me only with the food I need; Lest, being full, I deny you, saying, "Who is the LORD?" Or, being in want, I steal, and profane the name of my God." Prov 30:9

How much is enough? It is important to ask this question of ourselves regularly. How much money, property, and security do we need? The book of proverbs offers us a clear and simple answer, though we may not like it. The writer asks God only for that which will help him live a balanced life, nothing more. There is a great wisdom in the writer's stance.

Concerned that we might not be able to have control over our lives, we lose focus and try too hard to be successful, and while most of us might not be tempted to steal, we all consider cutting corners in order to feel secure. Some of us look for tax breaks we don't deserve. Others charge more for their services than their work warrants. Whatever we do to give ourselves a false sense of security never works for long. Fear and a lack of faith can never be dismissed without regular prayer.

Today, ask God for what you need. Nothing more.

What are your biggest temptations in seeking a false security?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.