Monday, March 23, 2015

We are never alone

Jesus said, "The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him.” Jn 8:29

Being alone, especially in a place or situation where you know no one, can be intimidating. More than once, I have traveled to the developing world expecting friars to meet me and no one showed up. Not sure how to use the public phone or whether it would work if I did, I waited, and waited, all the while feeling very alone.

Jesus reminds us that even though he was very alone in a physical sense when he went into the desert or to a mountain for prayer, his Father was always with him. A consolation and a challenge, Jesus knew his Father was with him but had always to be alert to his Father's love. Tempted by the devil to forget or choose another path in facing and overcoming loneliness, he chose his Father and so must we.

Keeping alert to God's enduring presence in our life is simple but often difficult. Troubled by family issues, money or the violence in the world that seems always to be creeping closer, we forget God's loving presence by self medicating with substances, TV or the internet. Uncomfortable with feeling so helpless, we allow ourselves to be distracted by almost anything or anyone. These responses will never fully satisfy or calm us. Only practices that call us back to the presence of God can do that.

Today, be quiet and allow the God who is always near to guide you.

How do you manage stress spiritually?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.