Monday, September 12, 2011

Leadership

"I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone, for kings and for all in authority, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life." (1 Tim 2:1)

Only recently arrived in the Diocese of Norwich, Ct., I received a lovely letter from the local bishop, Michael Coty, D.D.  Not only did he give me faculties to function as a priest in the Diocese, he welcomed me and assured me he was happy to have me living in the Diocese and was sure I would add something to the life of the local church.   

Immediately impressed, even though I have never met the man, I began to pray for him, just like I prayed for Cardinal Sean O’Malley, a brother Capuchin and the ordinary of Boston where last I lived. Bishop Michael made himself a person to me with his note and I realized how important his gesture was. Bishops and other leaders can often be associated only with their role and become objects we talk about rather than real people with lives, feelings and needs.

Many of the parishes where I have helped over the years never forgot their duty to be Good News,  and went out of their way each week to greet new parishioners, often inviting them for coffee after mass.  At one parish in particular there was a staff of ushers, called ministers of hospitality, who lived up to their title. They were wonderful men and women who never failed to greet each parishioner with a smile.  One usher who I admired the most knew everyone’s name and greeted each person as they entered, sometimes with a gentle word of encouragement.  Carl would say, with a kind smile, “Haven’t seen you in while, and I'm glad to see you again.”  His greetings sometimes prompted a response about sickness in the family or a long business trip, but usually resulted in the person simply saying thank you for missing me, no further explanation needed.

When we personalize life in our church and world we are always better off.  Bishops, pastors, and parish leaders who go out of their way to greet people, learn names and welcome them to worship and service almost always grow their communities.  But how about us?  Do we know the people who sit near us in church?  Do we take time to greet newcomers?  Do we notice when people are missing?  Do we inquire about those who might be sick?

The church is stronger when we care and pray for one another, especially our leaders.  We may not always like the decisions they make; we may not be lifted up by their sermons or style of leading prayer, but when we know them my name and greet them, we will soon learn their strengths, not just their weaknesses.  Focusing on one another’s strengths makes us a strong community, one that is ready to work together for the good of all. 

Today, say a prayer for your pastor and all those who offer leadership in your parish, and ask God to make them the leaders God wants them to be.

1 comment:

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.