Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Wrath and Anger are Hateful Things

“Wrath and anger are hateful things, yet the sinner hugs them tight…Forgive your neighbor the wrong done to you; then when you pray, your own sins will be forgiven.”  Sirach 27:30 – 28:1

Hearing the words of Sirach today on this 10th anniversary of the death of so many innocent people  in the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, is painful. The shock of watching the World Trade towers crash to the ground with almost 3000 people still in them is fresh for me. Though I did not know it at the time, a friend and firefighter, Bobby McMahon, whose marriage I had the privilege of witnessing, was very probably rushing into the towers even as they were about to collapse.  Bobby’s death shook me, hurt me, and confused me but for a while after the attacks of 9/11, I had no time to think about much except to care for the students and staff at the College of New Rochelle where I was chaplain at the time. 

But slowly, the enormity of the event crept over me like a violent storm cloud. Like so many, I did not know what to think but I knew how I felt. I was angry, and the street child who would rather fight than lose face, was rearing his ugly head. Though I knew what the scriptures commanded, it was difficult  to think of forgiveness. Sirach was especially agitating, “forgive the wrong…then …pray (so that) your own sins will be forgiven.“

Often since that terrible day, I have worried that our country, in trying to protect itself and justify its behavior,  would forget Jesus’ command to preach justice for all, not just for our allies, but for our enemies as well. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. (Mt 5:44-46) 

Furthermore,  today’s gospel reminds us that loving our enemies and forgiving those who sin against us needs to happen, not three times like the Rabbis taught, or seven times as Peter suggests, but seventy times seven times. 

I wonder whether it is possible amidst all the saber rattling that will surely come from some of our citizens on the anniversary of 9/11 to remain quiet, reflective and committed to these gospel imperatives, and whether we can live the passionate plea of Paul VI on New Year’s Day, 1972.  “If you want peace, work for Justice,” the Pope said. The gospel and the Pope’s challenge are as true today as they were when they were first uttered. I wonder if we can live this way.  I wonder, and because I believe that in God all things are possible,  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.