Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Praying

"In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him." Mt 6:7

Many people want to pray more until they realize that they don't know how to pray or think they don't know how, and find themselves in a quandary. Most people of faith learn to pray as children in a very ritualized fashion. They know the Our Father and Hail Mary. Many remember a morning offering and the mysteries of the rosary, but are left wondering what is next.

Today's scripture is clear and helpful. It is not necessary to use many words when we pray. In fact, too many words get the in way of most conversations. What begins as a dialogue becomes a monologue. One person speaks, the other listens. One person is content with the "conversation," the other leaves wondering what just happened, and unfortunately, something like this is the experience of many when they pray. Though there are many stories that suggest prayer does need words at all, it can be difficult to follow the example of the old man sitting in the back of church who when asked what he does when he prays replies, "I look at God and God looks at me."

St Clare of Assisi spoke of prayer in a similar way when she instructed her sisters to let God gaze at them, and they should learn to gaze at God. In other words, prayer can be as simple as a long, loving look at the real, as the Jesuit, Walter Burghardt described Ignatian contemplation. In any case, Jesus is warning us not to use too many words. Sitting quietly in our rooms or our car for a few minutes before we begin the day can allow us to hand our day over to the Lord and trust in his loving presence.

Today, try praying quietly. Don't use words. Let God gaze at you.

What is your everyday experience of prayer? Is your prayer quieter as you age?

2 comments:

  1. The real problem is in hearing Him when He speaks to us. He's the Master of prayer without words. I wish He would use words. It's really difficult to try and read His mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This from my friend, Cynthia.

    Yes, my everyday experience of prayer has become quieter. The Our Father, Hail Mary, Magnificat remain beautiful prayers to me. However, for many of my adult years when reading prayers that someone else had written it seemed as though I was just reading what another person was thinking and feeling. It really wasn't satisfying. At that point I would make up my own prayers and I continue to do this today - some of the time. Several years ago I attended a series of talks you, Br. Jack, were giving at a church in Windham, NH. It was then that you taught us how to pray "quietly". I remember you sitting there, eyes closed and looking so at peace. I wanted to pray that way. I remember you telling us that we needed to quiet our minds and that if the thought of a person crossed our mind that we should say a prayer for that person then return to quiet our mind again. It does take practice but it is truly worth it. I am fortunate to have had this lesson and have quiet time first thing in the morning to pray quietly.

    ReplyDelete

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.