Friday, February 17, 2012

Doing Faith

Many friends and readers have encouraged me to offer a question for reflection, not just a challenge each day. So today I will begin offering questions with each blog entry. Please feel free, if the question gets you thinking and praying, to leave a comment about your experience.

"If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,' but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?" Jas 2:15

"Do you not yet understand or comprehend? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes and not see, ears and not hear?"

For many, this passage from James is his most familiar and most demanding. There is very little wiggle room. Live faith, don't talk about it. While all of us know this, the passage still makes us uncomfortable. Who hasn't passed by someone in need or heard about someone who is hungry and simply pushed the situation to the back of our consciousness. It is difficult, especially if you live in a major city, not to see many homeless people every day. What can one person do, we ask ourselves, and walk on. It is not that we are not generous, but it is impossible to respond every time and to every person.

A good friend asked me about this several years ago.What should he do about the homeless who approached his car stopped at a traffic light?  I told him about my friend Rick who always had packages of peanut butter filled crackers in his car. Whenever anyone approached, he would give him something to eat. My friend, listening to my story, knew what he would do. Not wanting to give money away, he bought 20 gift cards for Dunkin Donuts. Each time someone would stop him, he would give the person a gift card, and on occasion, offer to go with him to Dunkin Donuts. His action helped him live his faith in a simple way and over time allowed him to meet many really interesting people. The homeless and hungry, he discovered, might be mentally ill but they can also be very bright and insightful.

Today, live your faith in action and let God introduce you to paths of transformation.

Have you had an encounter or experience that challenged you to live the gospel more intentionally and publicly?

1 comment:

  1. What follows is from my friend Cynthia who was not sure her comment was on target. I assured her it was, and she graciously allowed me to post this.

    I volunteer in the emergency room at the hospital in Frederick. I was performing the tasks
    as requested and had just finished cleaning a room for the next patient when the patient in
    the next room called out. I went to where the curtain was open and asked what I could do to help.
    The lady was sitting on her bed scratching and rubbing her feet. When I asked what she needed
    she said she was cold. There was not very much light in the room but I could see that her gown
    had fallen from her shoulders so I approached and said let me help tie up your gown. As I was about to
    do this I could see her bare arms and back. They were covered with raised sores - some scabbed over.
    She asked for another gown to be put on from behind. I got one and helped her into it.
    I am ashamed to say that this was the first time in my life that I ever had the opportunity
    to help a stranger on such a personal level - someone who I may have walked away from in the past.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Please be discreet in your comments. I will monitor the comments, and only exclude those that are patently offensive.